Gibbon was founded in October 2010 in response to a lack of powerful, usable and open source school platforms. Right from the beginning, Gibbon was designed to be flexible, extensible and themeable, whilst aiming to help teachers to do their jobs. The project aims to provide all schools, no matter their size or resources they have, with the systems they need to provide effective learning, teaching and school management. Gibbon is built using PHP, MySQL, jQuery, Git, Atom and other open tools.
Learn more about the Gibbon story on opensource.com.
Gibbon is a work of volunteer labour, built with love and passion by people just like you. If you would like to contribute your time and expertise to the Gibbon project, please email email@example.com. If you are a programmer or technical writer, you can access the latest version of the codebase via our Github repository.
Our core team of developers work to ensure that every release is a stable, steady step in the right direction, whilst providing support and advocacy for users of the project.
|Ross Parker . Founder & Lead Developer
Ross works as Technology Director and Teacher of ICT at International College Hong Kong, where his aims are to make school run better, whilst simultaneously innovating and disrupting the process of educating young minds. Ross has worked in the intersection of education and technology for over ten years: Gibbon is the third school platform he has been involved in building, and represents the correction of many past mistakes.
|Sandra Kuipers . Senior Developer
Sandra works at The International School of Macao, applying code and design to tackle the many interesting projects that arise at a school. She has worked in a mix of industries—from oilfield training to virtual worlds—and now enjoys the positive impact of designing for education. Gibbon’s open source teacher-focused philosophy has been a perfect fit, and Sandra hopes to see the developer community continue to grow.
|Ray Clark . Developer
Ray is a student at ICHK, and has an interest in programming and computers in general. Over the past 3 years, Ray has worked on development of the Gibbon core, starting with small bug fixes and graduating to adding new back-end functions and building new features. In addition, Ray has also developed two additional modules for Gibbon: Help Desk and a Trip Planner, both of which are available on our Extend page.
Gibbon is inherently embedded within, and indebted to, the broader communities of free/open source software development and open culture creation that have grown around the Web. In addition to our core team members, we would like to recognise the huge impact of all of our various contributors:
- Current & Former Staff of ICHK Secondary (esp. Alan Lo, Jennifer Goldthorpe, Nicolas Arriaga & Elaine Long)
- Andy Statham of Rapid36
- George Tibbetts
- Cheryl & Stephen Keegan
- Vytas Krisciunas, Jong Lee & Brian Mak of RGL Group
- WordPress (reuse of code)
- Drupal (use of action/permission model)
- Current & Former Staff of ICHK HLY (esp. Jamie Stark, Ruth Woodward, Adam McGuigan & Chris Curtain)
- Jeremy Godfrey & John Chui
- Pixeden for Soft Media icon set
- Khodjaev Stanislav for Onebit icon set
- The friendly coders of Codeaholics Hong Kong for getting me into gear and into GitHub.
- The Students of ICHK for their suggestions, ideas and code (esp. Jordan Kramer, Daniel Roskams, Ray Clark, Adrien Tremblay, Isaac Wan, Marcus Ko and Martin Donnet).
- Carmine Sirignano (for her amazingly fast Italiano translation).
- Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com is licensed under CC BY 3.0
- Icons made by Catalin Fertu from www.flaticon.com is licensed under CC BY 3.0
- Icon made by Yannick from www.flaticon.com is licensed under CC BY 3.0
- Icon made by Elegant Themes from www.flaticon.com is licensed under CC BY 3.0
- Icons made by SimpleIcon from www.flaticon.com is licensed under CC BY 3.0
- Icon made by Designerz Base from www.flaticon.com is licensed under CC BY 3.0
- Icon made by Robin Kylander from www.flaticon.com is licensed under CC BY 3.0
- Icon made by Victor Erixon from www.flaticon.com is licensed under CC BY 3.0
- Guillermo Bautista Fuerte for his Spanish translation
- Smattila on DeviantArt for the Gibbon v9 background image
- Jasmine Chan and Charlie Chow (students of ICHK) for their Traditional Chinese translation
- Former student Steph Ng for her code contributions
- Alarm sound by guitarguy1985 on Freesound.org under CC0 (Public Domain).
- Iulian Ghetau for his Romanian translation.
- Dennis Lin for his French translation.
- Craig Rayner for stretching us in new ways.
- Sandra Kuipers for her many probing questions.
- heartbeat icon by Lloyd Humphreys from the Noun Project
- Conversation icon by Giuditta Valentina Gentile from the Noun Project
- Star icon by Maxim Kulikov from the Noun Project
- Victor Datsyuk for his code contributions
- Urko Masse, Bali Island School